Thursday 19 December 2013

Is it really 30 years ago?

I've been thinking about this for the past few days, past Xmas's and the like. For some reason, 1983 seems relatively clear. It was my first year of secondary school, my sisters weren't at home and I'm fairly sure "Flash Gordon" was the premiere on Christmas Eve. Was it my main present that I was excited about? I'd had my first personal computer earlier that year, an Atari 400 with 16kb of RAM and a membrane keyboard but this was the age without suspend-to-memory and sleep mode, so when the power was turned off whatever was there was gone. I remember having my first tape drive and it was genuinely revelatory, I could play cassette games (and get introduced to the vaguries of tape load errors), save my programs and so on. I remember buying C15 cassettes and filling them with programs I would type in from magazines or listings books, and some of them even worked!

It was a much simpler age back then and it does make me wonder what I'll be having for Christmas in 2043.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment